DEC. 19, 1820
MAY 1, 1901
Alias: Aunt Sallie
Birth: 19 December 1820
Death: 1 May 1901, Florissant, St. Louis County, Missouri
Burial: Cold Water Cemetery, Florissant, St. Louis County, Missouri
Family members buried in Cold Water Cemetery:
Parents: John Patterson, Jr., and Jane Jamison Patterson
Siblings: Martha Ann Patterson Northern and Margaret Rebecca Patterson Douglass
Husband: Joseph Patterson
• Aunt Sallie, as she was affectionately called, was the second wife (and the cousin) of Joseph Patterson, the son of William Patterson. Her given name was Sarah Patterson. She was the daughter of John Patterson, Jr., and Jane Jameson Patterson. Sallie and Joseph were married on 14 May 1837, in Florissant, St. Louis County, Missouri. They had no children.
• Notary Public F. E. Luckett dated 6 July 1897. A copy is in the possession of Marilyn P. Devaney. This deeded a strip of land in St. Louis County for the Cold Water Church Burying Ground. It was as if she had received the ground free and clear when her husband, Joseph Patterson died. There was a major question about that. No record in Cole County, Missouri as to the Will of Joseph Patterson noted in a letter dated 31 March 1939.
• In a letter dated 6 April 1939, it was found that a Will for Joseph Patterson was probated in St. Louis, 8 August 1872. (This was before the separation of the City and the County). In this, it was stated that Sallie had the use of the property only during her lifetime and at her death, the property was to divide up between Joseph’s nephews and nieces.
• Short, “An Early VA Family” by Josephine Short Lynch page 348 states that she used “Sally”
• Mentioned in Grandfather’s Probate records.
• The Family Tree, Missouri Historical Research Record. The Patterson genealogy continued from December 1967. From the Missouri Historical Society Vertical File p. 3.
• National Society United States Daughters of 1812, Grave Locations Project, Soldiers of War of 1812. A copy is in the possession of Marilyn P. Devaney. The publication lists the names of children of William Patterson, birth dates, names of spouses, and dates of marriage.
• A General Warranty Deed recorded in Cole County, Jefferson City, Missouri 20 March 1894, at 10:46 AM. J. H. Zelch, Recorder.
• 1850 Census: District 82, St Louis, Missouri; Roll: M432_414; Page: 473A; Image: 424. Household members: Joseph Patterson 41, Sally Patterson 28, and Richard Lewis 19. Original data: Seventh Census of the United States, 1850; (National Archives Microfilm Publication M432, 1009 rolls); Records of the Bureau of the Census, Record Group 29; National Archives, Washington, D.C.
• 1860 Census: St Ferdinand, St Louis, Missouri; Roll: M653_656; Page: 1074. Household members: Joseph Patterson 50, Sally Patterson 40, and John Nothem 14. Original data: 1860 U.S. census, population schedule. NARA microfilm publication M653, 1,438 rolls. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.
• 1870 Census: Saint Ferdinand, Saint Louis, Missouri; Roll: M593_809; Page: 318B. Household members: Joseph Patterson 60 and Sallie Patterson 50. Original data: 1870 U.S. census, population schedules. NARA microfilm publication M593, 1,761 rolls. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.