THERE IS REST IN HEAVEN
SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF
July 29, 1872.
62 Y. 11 M. 21 D.
Mark the perfect man and behold the upright
for the end of that man is peace.
Birth: 27 August 1809, St. Louis County, Missouri
Death: 29 July 1872, St. Louis County, Missouri
Burial: Cold Water Cemetery, Florissant, St. Louis County, Missouri
Family members buried in Cold Water Cemetery:
Parents: William Patterson and Assenath Piggott Patterson
Grandparents: John Patterson, Sr., and Keziah Horneday Patterson
Siblings: Keziah Patterson James, Frances Patterson, and James Leman Patterson
Wives: 1. Mary Veale Patterson and 2. Sarah Patterson
• Joseph was born ca. 1809, the first child of William and Assenath Piggott Patterson.
• Joseph was married twice; first to Mary Veal James on 5 November 1831. He then married Sara H. Patterson, his cousin, on 14 May 1837.
• 1850 Census: District 82, St Louis, Missouri; Roll: M432_414; Page: 473A; Image: 424. Household members: Joseph Patterson 41, Sally Patterson 28, and Richard Lewis 19. Original data: Seventh Census of the United States, 1850; (National Archives Microfilm Publication M432, 1009 rolls); Records of the Bureau of the Census, Record Group 29; National Archives, Washington, D.C.
• 1860 Census: St Ferdinand, St Louis, Missouri; Roll: M653_656; Page: 1074. Household members: Joseph Patterson 50, Sally Patterson 40, and John Northern 14. Original data: 1860 U.S. census, population schedule. NARA microfilm publication M653, 1,438 rolls. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.
• 1870 Census: Saint Ferdinand, Saint Louis, Missouri; Roll: M593_809; Page: 318B. Household members: Joseph Patterson 60 and Sallie Patterson 50. Original data: 1870 U.S. census, population schedules. NARA microfilm publication M593, 1,761 rolls. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.
• StLGS Index of St. Louis Marriages 1804-1876 Vol. 1 StLGS Library, Book 02 Page 054
• Marriage to Mary Veale, St. Louis Co. Missouri Marriage Rec. 02-054.
• Marriage to Sarah “Sallie” Patterson, a second cousin.
• Will: St. Louis and St. Louis County, Missouri Probate Records-778/32II (96) Vol. 2 1849-1861. Page 60. William Patterson, Sr. Wrtn 10-16-58 Rec. 5-31-60. “Asenath Patterson wf, James Patterson deed dau. (sie), Joseph Patterson son & Ex, Elisha Patterson son & Ex. Jacob Vale, snil (son-in-law) John H. Shackleford & Nicholas B. Douglass Wits F:529-530.
• The Family Tree. Missouri Historical Research Record. The Patterson genealogy continued from December 1967. From the Missouri Historical Society Vertical File p. 3. Start searching historical newspapers free.
• National Society United States Daughters of 1812, Grave Locations Project, Soldiers of War of 1812. Listed as a child with the birth date, and both marriage names/dates.
• Will filed in St. Louis, Missouri,8 August 1872, for Joseph Patterson.