Nov. 13, 1878
Aged 87 Yrs. 9 Mo.
Assenath Piggott Patterson
Birth: 17 January 1791, Piggott’s Fort, St. Clair County, Illinois
Death: 13 November 1878, St. Louis County, Missouri
Burial: Cold Water Cemetery, Florissant, St. Louis County, Missouri
• Assenath Patterson was the daughter of Captain James and Frances James Piggott. She was born on 17 January 1791, at Piggotts Fort, Illinois. On 10 August 1808, in St. Louis County, she married William Patterson, eldest son of John Patterson, Sr. She was the mother of 15 children. Her father, a Revolutionary War soldier, ran the first ferry across the Mississippi.
• Will: St. Louis and St. Louis County, Missouri Probate Records-778/32II (96) Vol. 2 1849-1861. Page 60. William Patterson, Sr., Wrtn 10-16-58 Rec. 5-31-60. “Asenath Patterson wife, James Patterson deed daughter (sie), Joseph Patterson son & Ex, Elisha Patterson son & Ex. Jacob Vale, snil (son-in-law) John H. Shackleford & Nicholas B. Douglass Wits F:529-530
• Place: Piggott’s Fort was on lands given to Piggott by the Court in 1783 near Cahokia, Illinois, to offer protection from Indian uprisings that continued through 1795 in this area.
• Marriage: The Patterson Family History by William B. Putman, Jr., advises that William married Assenath Piggott at her new home in St. Louis County, where she and her mother had just moved.
• “The Methodist Church in Missouri” by Frank C. Tucker, copies of pages 13 through 19, in possession of Marilyn P. Devaney. On page 16 the second class formed by John Clark included Elisha and Lucy Hubbard Patterson, William and Assenath Patterson, John and Jane Sanders, Polly Patterson, Gilbert Hodge and wife, Allen Mannon and wife, John and Penelope Brown, Amy James, and Sallie Jamieson. Elisha Patterson was the chosen Class Leader, and the William Patterson Home was the meeting place.
• Letter dated 15 September 1996 to Dan H. Devaney, from Mrs. Mary Waack, 3715 Sternberg Ave. Schofield, WI 54476-2657.
• 1850 Census: 82nd District, St. Louis County, Missouri, Series: M432 Roll: 414 Page: 476. Household members: William Patterson, Assenath Patterson, and William P. Patterson. Original data: Seventh Census of the United States, 1850; (National Archives Microfilm Publication M432, 1009 rolls); Records of the Bureau of the Census, Record Group 29; National Archives, Washington, D.C.
• 1860 Census: St. Ferdinand, St Louis, Missouri; Roll: M653_656; Page: 1076. Household Members: William P. Patterson and Assenath Patterson. Original data: 1860 U.S. census, population schedule. NARA microfilm publication M653, 1,438 rolls. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.